The night and early morning of August 5 and 6, 2013 was an experience not to be forgotten. A few hundred people, most of them Nez Perce, gathered along Highway 12 just east of Lewiston, Idaho to protest the invasion of their homeland by a subsidiary of General Electric, which was illegally hauling a giant piece of equipment bound for the tar sands in Alberta. The highway parallels the Clearwater River, which is the heart of the Nez Perce country. What a night it was.
As we approach the New Year, let’s look at our collective accomplishments. Your support has made all of this possible.
- Worked with allies, who gained an injunction preventing Omega Morgan from transporting more megaloads through the wild and scenic river corridor.
- Prevented the Forest Service from allowing a helicopter to land in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness to repair a bridge originally built with non-motorized equipment.
- Successfully appealed a Forest Service decision to allow extensive mineral operations to occur in the S. Fork Clearwater without doing proper analysis.
- Supported the Forest Service in their decision to deny placer mining claims on the N. Fork Clearwater. The claims were ultimately denied by an administrative law judge.
- Worked with allies in getting the US Fish & Wildlife Service to potentially list the wolverine under the Endangered Species Act.
- Worked with allies to petition the US Fish & Wildlife Service to gain federal protection for the imperiled Fisher.
Please consider making a donation and help us protect wild Clearwater Country in 2014! In the New Year, we will continue our work on other important issues affecting public lands owned by YOU.
- Work with allies to protect crucial roadless areas from damaging motorized recreation. We have a lawsuit against the Clearwater National Forest Travel Plan.
- Continue to advocate for a purchase-option for the highly contentious Upper Lochsa Land Exchange. An exchange could short-change the American public.
- Submit important data to the Forest Service in their attempt to revise Forest Plans for the Idaho Panhandle and Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests.
- Advocate for the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act, legislation that would designate tens of millions of acres of wild country as wilderness.
Happy holidays everybody! Your support makes all of this possible!
Brett & Gary