The Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) is accepting comments on a proposal to expand predator trapping and killing in Idaho by allowing trappers to bait them. Currently, baiting wolves and bears is allowed. This proposed rule would expand baiting for other furbearing predators. The Proposed rule states:
Furbearing animals or predatory or unprotected wildlife may be trapped with bait, lures, or other attractants when not prohibited by Section 36-1103(a), Idaho Code.
Furbearing animals or predatory or unprotected wildlife may be trapped near a big game animal that has died naturally and the carcass has not been repositioned for trapping purposes. Natural causes do not include any man-caused mortality. (https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/people-can-comment-proposed-and-temporary-hunting-trapping-and-licensing-rules-require)
This raises serious threats for endangered predators like wolverines, who rely on carrion during much of the year.
Whether a trapper places a trap near a dead animal or a dead animal near his trap, it is the same result—it lures in predators. This is baiting. Baiting is also an unethical practice. Rather than expand baiting, the regulations should prohibit the practice altogether.
Comments are due by September 23. Some points you may want to consider:
- Baiting and trapping near carcasses is unethical.
- This presents serious threats to wolverines, which are rare.
- Rather than this rule, the IDFG should end these practices for predators, including wolves.
You can comment the following ways:
1) mail your comments to Paul Kline, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID, 83707; or
2) email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Personalize and send in your comments to email@example.com using our comment form below. Please note that if you use the below comment form, browsers or browser settings can sometimes interfere with the submission. We recommend that you bcc yourself; if you receive the email, you will know that the agency did, too.
This comment form is now closed. End date: Sep 23, 2020 Signatures collected: 10
IDFG proposed rule allowing predator baiting
This comment form is now closed.
End date: Sep 23, 2020
Signatures collected: 10