Not short on big news, this issue will talk about the recent federal decision on US 12, an opportunity to send public comments on the plan to keep dredging the lower Snake River, an important proposal to list the imperiled wolverine, a look at the 2012-2013 wolf hunting and trapping season, an upcoming potluck party, and a great volunteer opportunity with the University of Idaho.
We would like to congratulate Advocates for the West, Idaho Rivers United, and the Nez Perce Tribe for their victory in federal court last week! U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill ruled that the US Forest Service acted unlawfully when the agency declared that they did not have the authority to intervene and regulate road-blocking mega-loads from traveling through the Wild & Scenic Middle Fork Clearwater and Lochsa River corridors. We would also like to take this time to thank the countless individuals and groups from around the region that have been part of this important campaign.
Read the news release following the court ruling.
As you may be aware, the Army Corps of Engineering is taking public comments on their Draft Environmental Impact Statement for their Lower Snake River Programmatic Sediment Management Plan. In a recent public hearing, numerous citizens raised valid concerns over the fiscal responsibility and taxpayer liability of endless dredging of the river channel, and around the Port of Lewiston, so that declining barge traffic can continue. The deadline for comments is March 26th.
Learn more about the project and the taxpayer subsidies behind it.
The US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) is taking public comments on a proposal to list the imperiled wolverine as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. Considered a wilderness-dependent species, studies have shown that wolverines use vast tracts of undeveloped land in order to migrate, breed and survive on a diverse prey base. Along with Glacier National Park, the Clearwater Basin is one of the last strongholds for the species in the lower 48.
Take action and learn where to send a comment to the USFWS.
As we go to press, a total of 215 wolves have been killed (2012-2013) in Idaho via hunting, trapping, and snaring. The state of Montana is reporting that 199 wolves have been killed so far, over the same period. In Wyoming, where wolves are permitted to be shot-on-sight in 85% of the state, it’s very difficult to know how many wolves have been killed because they don’t have to be reported. In the other 15% of the state, Wyoming Game & Fish has indicated that 77 wolves have been killed in the 2012-2013. During the past two years, over 1,000 wolves have been killed in the N. Rockies.
Read the recent article in the Earth Island Journal.
In lighter news, FOC and Dr. Fred Rabe are eager to announce the publication of the Hoodoo Roadless Area booklet (also known as Kelly Creek). On Friday February 15th, 6-8pm, you are invited to attend a potluck party that will feature a colorful slide show of this spectacular 255,000-acre roadless wildland, along with copies of the booklet to view and/or take home. Bring a dish and something to drink. Family friendly, too.
Call (208) 882-9755 for house directions.
Lastly, if you are interested in some great volunteer opportunities with the University of Idaho Palouse Prairie Team click here.
Go Wild & Scenic,