The Forest Service is currently revising its Forest Plan for the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests. The Forest Plan will guide agency management for these two forests over the next ten to thirty years. A Forest Plan includes:
- Areas recommended for Wilderness.
- Wilderness administration and stewardship.
- Management of roadless areas.
- Recommendations for new wild and scenic rivers.
- Establishment of new Research Natural Areas.
- Measurable and enforceable standards for sensitive soils, old growth, riparian areas, water quality and fish/wildlife habitat.
- List of Species of Conservation Concern and Focal Species.
- Road management and densities.
- Guidelines for logging, mining, grazing and land exchanges.
- Energy development.
Friends of the Clearwater drafted a Citizen Alternative during scoping in 2014.
Forest Service is currently accepting public comments for the development of alternatives for the Forest Plan Revision – Draft Environmental Impact Statement. Public comment opportunity expires February 28, 2018.
Learn more about our analysis of the Forest Revision scoping document.